9.16.2009

Suburban Riding

Cycling in Olathe has its challenges. I'm constantly stuck at lights and stopsigns, swerving to avoid overcautious drivers, jostling over bumpy sidewalks, and searching for those ever elusive bike lanes (you know, the ones that go for a half-mile and then mysteriously disappear).

 
But, then again, Olathe is wonderfully flat, so it's easy to conquer miles and miles of road here with minimum pain. And I have to admit that some parts of Olathe are beautiful. Take the shady, verdant streets near my house or the hidden trails and parks tucked away alongside Olathe's busy intersections and strip malls. 
My favorite trail is the loop around Frisco Lake. The trail is smooth and well-tended, the lake is shimmering and clear, and you can see from horizon to horizon over the water's expanse. Usually, the surrounding park is teeming with Canadian geese, men fishing, gaggles of small children chasing ducks, and mothers visiting on park benches. But yesterday afternoon, the park was wonderfully empty and still. The cooler weather had cleared away everyone but the ducks that snoozed on the bank, and this:
  
I don't know if she was a heron or something else, but she had a beautifully spotted neck. She waded through the water delicately, snatching up and gobbling fish that looked at least seven inches long.

It's not often that I catch sight of such natural beauty in the suburbs, but I am grateful for it, and grateful for whatever moved me to haul my bike out yesterday, strap on a helmet, and take on the streets of Olathe on a Tuesday afternoon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried biking on the Mill Creek paths? I know an entrace point is on Northridge (or whatever 119th Street turns into in Olathe). I used to bike/walk on that a lot, and I was always surprised by what I would see/find while I went through.

I think most American cities are not bike-friendly. Lawrence, despite a lot of bikers in the area, is not bike friendly AT ALL. Seriously, if I get accosted by another person while I am on my bike, I am going to lose it. Also, I don't think Olathe's bumpy sidewalks have anything on Lawrence's undulating sidewalks. About 80% of the sidewalks I ride on are cobblestone or brick; in some places the grass has grown up between the brick so much that the sidewalk has disappeared. It's awful, but of course nothing will be done about it since I think we are living in an age where everything should be done free (as in, not cost the tax-payers a dime) by the government. *rollseyes*