4.11.2010

"The Food's the Thing"

Hi, folks! AWP was simply wonderful. I loved seeing my friends from grad school, basking in the warm Denver sunshine, drinking really good microbrews, listening to poetry, and hearing talks about professional development and on-line literary publishing. The conference was extremely rewarding, but it was also extremely tiring! I need a day or two to sleep it off before I write a longer post about it!

But I did want to share this with you: a fascinating little article about a Ph.D student writing her dissertation on food in Shakespeare's plays. Keri Sanburn Behre of Lawrence studies the impact of food on Shakespeare's language and metaphors, but she also bakes Renaissance-era pastry in her spare time. Obviously, I should be this woman's best friend. I'll try to attend her talk tomorrow night and convince her of this fact, without coming off too stalker-y.

Anyway, check it out: it's a great little article that talks about the transient nature of food trends and why Europeans used to think that cantaloupe could kill you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting! I love cantaloupe-think I'll take my chances with it killing me! And I agree, Keri SHOULD be you new BFF!!! Sounds like two peas in a kitchen to me!!! Can't wait to hear more about AWP..........xoxox M

Unknown said...

Hey, thanks for the shout-out here. :)