11.03.2010

Halloween & Doctor Who

Halloween was a little disappointing this year. It used to be my favorite holiday, but as a grownup, I've gotten a little tired of dressing up for what usually turns out to be a disappointing, bar-fueled debacle. I used to love Halloween because it's about imagination and playfulness and not taking life too seriously. It's about dressing up and taking a chance on being somebody else for a night, and it's about laughing at death and all the other scary things that go bump in the night. I mean, it's a holiday centered around candy--candy, people! It's obviously awesome.

Or, if you live in a college town like I do, it's a holiday about getting schwasted, wearing stripper heels and a miniskirt, and yelling outside my bedroom window until 3:00 a.m.

Ugh. Obviously, I've become that cranky old lady who wishes all those damn kids would just put some clothes on and go to bed already.

Anyway. I went out with a few friends this year. It was a nice time, but I wish I'd had enough time to come up with a costume. Going out as just myself in a bar full of witches and Chilean miners and Anchorman characters was really a drag. But next year, I already know what I'm going to be:


"Party time, excellent, whoooo!" I wonder if I can find a Flowbee to carry around with me . . .

In other news, a friend recommended that I start watching Doctor Who now that I'm done with Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I'm completely addicted now. 

If you don't know Doctor Who, it's a British sci-fi show that's been on BBC since the 1960s. It's about the Doctor (a time-traveling alien "bloke" with a penchant for saving the world) and his travels with whatever lady "companion" he picks up off the London streets. The show's premise (the bored Doctor explores the universe for fun and do-goodery) provides the show's writers with ample opportunity to combine wildly imaginative story lines with strange British slang ("wotcher!") and silly British humor.

Of course, Doctor Who is sometimes serious and dramatic and philosophical . . .


but usually it's just plain silly.

He fights goofy-looking aliens . . .

and old fashioned robots . . .
and even Satan when necessary . . .

 How could it not be the best thing ever? 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh but you always LOVED Halloween! Never grow old girlie! I don't know who Dr. Who is but I'm certain cousin Auz is familiar.......you two are so alike! That's why we love you both. Strange as you sometimes are together! oxxoxox.

Anonymous said...

SAD as it is.... I KNOW someone who has a flowbee and USES it!!! After 25 years it's STILL working!!! NEVER GROW UP.....IT SUCKS!