5.18.2011

Michael Chabon's Maps and Legends

I have a strange (though not necessarily bad) habit of finding wildly famous writers of fiction, ignoring their novels, and reading their essay collections instead. I did the same thing with Jonathan Franzen last fall, and I just did it again with Michael Chabon's collection of essays Maps and Legends
Maps and Legends with its gorgeous set of mythical layered dust jackets.
It's an absolutely stunning book to hold (way to go, McSweeney's!) and an engaging text to spend time with. For some reason, I kept comparing Chabon's book to Franzen's How to Be Alone--in part because they're both works by critically acclaimed and much lauded contemporary writers of fiction, and in part because they take on such similar topics (for example, The State of Modern Fiction and Reading) in such wildly different ways. Where Franzen is serious and brilliant and critical, Chabon is enthusiastic and blithe and mercurial. Franzen's writing is more precise and persuasive, but Chabon's is more engaging; I wish I could take a literature class with Franzen as my teacher, but I wish I could take Chabon out for a beer to talk about our promiscuous reading habits.

Chabon's collection contains essays on the state of the modern short story, the dangers of labeling novels by genre (he considers the library's system of categorization--science fiction, mystery, young adult, etc.--to be a sort of ghettoization), Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials Trilogy, the history of Arthur Conan Doyle and Sherlock Holmes, the myth of the golem, the importance of comics for children and adult readers, and his childhood love of Norse mythology. (If you know my reading habits at all, you can see why the table of contents practically forced me to get my hands on this collection!)
Chabon with superheroes.

While much of the essays are what could be called light or popular literary criticism (usually a serious, if accessible, genre), at its heart, the book is a gleeful celebration of reading for pleasure and entertainment. I think that the world of literature might be a better place if all authors--Pulitzer Prize winners or not--were able to occasionally admit to Chabon's thesis: "I read for entertainment, and I write to entertain. Period."
Chabon, Franzen, Tom Wolfe, and Gore Vidal as seen on The Simpsons.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I read for entertainment, and I write to entertain. Period."

This is great and, yes, sounds exactely like something that would grab your attention! Thanks for the review....
xoxox M

Anonymous said...

Big Chabon fan - loved "Mysteries of Pittsburgh," "Wonderboys," "Kavalier and Clay," and "Yiddish Policeman's Union." Read a few pages of "Maps and Legends." It didn't grab me. Loved "How to Be Alone" (and "Freedom").

I think you'll really love David Foster Wallace's "Consider The Lobster" and "A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again." More tight, trenchant, rigorous, and moving than anything either Chabon or Franzen (or anybody) wrote. I'm an avowed DFW fanboy, so thumb through them at the bookstore before making the purchase.