1.18.2010

Avatar: A Review

So here's the thing: earlier this week, I wrote a really long review of Avatar that had links and references and smart words in it and everything. Unfortunately, the more I wrote, the more I hated it.

This has happened to me before: I've written a few long posts that, once I stop typing, strike me as just awful--long-winded, pretentious, and dull. I never post them, and I won't subject you to this one, either.

Instead, here's my review of Avatar in brief Q&A form:

Was Avatar . . .
  • Long? Yeeeessssssssss.
  • Preachy? Uh huh.
  • Racist? For sure.
  • Moving? Yes.
  • Beautiful? Definitely.
  • Exciting? Sometimes.
  • Good? Ummmmm, well, sorta . . .
  • Bitchin'? Yes! (Fight scenes + dragons + helicopters = automatic bitchin' rating.)
  • Worth your $10: Yes. Seeing the world that James Cameron creates is worth the price of admission. Go for the pretty blue people communing with trees in a gorgeous CGI forest, just don't expect too much from the script.

No comments: