10.21.2010

Feel the Burn

I've been a little out of commission this week. I didn't expect to be, but my car got broken into over the weekend, causing a helluvalot of unnecessary hassle. I think that everything's finally under control on my end, but I'm still pissed about it. I feel like I've been gritting my teeth all week.

On a related note, I've been going to the gym a lot recently. It cuts into my Buffy time and my writing time, but it's the best thing in the world to do when I'm feeling stressed or angry or frustrated.

I used to think that people who liked to work out were nuts--completely off their rockers. But about two years ago, after six months of daily bike riding through hilly State College, I realized that I was addicted. I needed those endorphins. I needed the release of pushing my body to work through tension and pain, that feeling of reaching deep and steeling myself against that burn in my legs.

So now I work out. I like the gym: I like the elliptical machine, I like free weights, and I think that I'm really going to like yoga, which I did for the first time ever last night. It burned (I can't hold my arms at shoulder height for more than about three seconds today), but it made me feel really strong to settle into a pose and hold it, and hold it, and keep on holding it, even when I was shaking and tired. Somehow, that burn helped put out the burn of anger in my gut. I feel a little less pissed today.  A little.  ;)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK...in THIS case you DO NOT take after your Auntie!! LOVE YU ANYWHO!!! :o) P.S. Sorry to hear about the car.....creeps, Karma will GET them!!!

Anonymous said...

Yoga??!?!?! You will have to share some techniques with me! I love that you know what you need in your life to help keep you fit and trim - mentally and physically! keep it up - good habits are hard to give up...xoxoxxo

moura said...

Welcome to the club. I've been exercising twice a day lately. It does help. Though that burning gut of anger: still sneaks up.

Mrs. E said...

So sorry about the car! And I am sooo with you on exercise-though I pretty much have to do it outside to feel the endorphins. I hope they catch who did it!