11.15.2009

Aunt Sandra Lee's Simple Dinner Biscuits

Sometimes, the simplest things are also the best things.

I've loved these biscuits since I was a little girl. They're powdery and dense and floury, and, for all their plainness, I can't think of another biscuit or roll that I like better. Tonight, I made them to accompany my mom's delicious chicken vegetable soup.

There's nothing fancy about these little biscuits, and they're so easy to make. You don't even have to roll the dough out and cut it into circles; dropping the dough works equally well, though it does make the biscuits a little more difficult to slice.

 

Mix the ingredients together well, roll out the dough, cut out the biscuits with the top of a juice glass, bake for ten minutes, and there's your biscuity deliciousness, hot and ready for a smear of butter or a squirt of honey.

---------------
Aunt Sandra Lee's Biscuits*

Ingredients
2 cups flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons shortening
3/4 cup milk

Directions
Whisk together the dry ingredients. Cut the shortening into the dry ingredients until the mixture becomes crumbly. Add milk and stir until combined.

Roll the dough into a 1/2 inch thick sheet. Cut out the biscuits using a cookie cutter (or the top of a juice glass). Bake the biscuits at 450 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the biscuits have risen and turned slightly brown on top.


*To be honest, I'm not sure who Aunt Sandra Lee is. Can any relatives out there enlighten me?

3 comments:

Mrs. E said...

She would have been your Grandpa's little sister. (I think that's right!) She had the biggest brown eyes--and so did most of her kids. My mom taught at least one of her children in school. And there is your family tree lesson for today. (Thanks for the recipe! I love biscuits!)

Anonymous said...

That's right Les.....Aunt Sandy was G-pa Bill's younger sister. She was betewwn G-pa & Uncle Gary. I CAN'T BELIEVE you're giving away the family recipe! You're JUST like the dog from the Bush's Baked Bean Comercials!! :o)

G'ma Bill said...

Yes, Lesley, Aunt Sandra Lea was Grandpa's little sister (three years younger). She died of a heart attack at age 50, in 1990. I always made these biscuits - never bought those in the cartons from the store! One time when we were having company, I made them and forgot the baking powder - oh, oh, they were like hockey pucks!!