11.17.2009

"What I Learned From My Mother" by Julia Spicher Kasdorf

There's so much that I should be working on tonight. It's after 10:00 p.m., but I know that there's research to do, a job description to look at, a long blog post that needs to written, and an HTML workbook to spend time with.


But, for tonight, I just can't do any more. There's a loaf of banana bread rising in the oven, and my cat is playing nearby, bringing me bouncy balls so I can bounce them across the kitchen floor.

This scene does not call for work: it calls for a poem!

"What I Learned From My Mother" comes from Julia Spicher Kasdorf's first book Sleeping Preacher. Julia was my thesis advisor at Penn State, and she is just as kind and warm and caring as this poem is. I was lucky to have her guidance as a poet and as a person during my last year in Pennsylvania.

This poem gets republished often, partially because it makes for a good workshop assignment: you read the poem in a group, talk about it, and then each person writes his or her own poem about learning something from someone.

But I like this poem more for its content than for its formulaic possibilities. It evokes a country neighborly-ness that I very much like. Bringing cakes to mourning families and fruit salads to worried wives seems so strange and old-fashioned and foreign to my generation. But Julia's poem gets right to the heart of why these traditions matter: no matter what sort of spiritual nourishment we would like to offer the suffering, sometimes "a chocolate cake you baked yourself" is all that we have, along with "the blessing of your voice, your chaste touch."

---------------

What I Learned From My Mother
By Julia Spicher Kasdorf
From Sleeping Preacher


I learned from my mother how to love
the living, to have plenty of vases on hand
in case you have to rush to the hospital
with peonies cut from the lawn, black ants
still stuck to the buds. I learned to save jars
large enough to hold fruit salad for a whole
grieving household, to cube home-canned pears
and peaches, to slice through maroon grape skins
and flick out the sexual seeds with a knife point.
I learned to attend viewing even if I didn’t know
the deceased, to press the moist hands
of the living, to look in their eyes and offer
sympathy, as though I understood loss even then.
I learned that whatever we say means nothing,
what anyone will remember is that we came.
I learned to believe I had the power to ease
awful pains materially like an angel.
Like a doctor, I learned to create
from another’s suffering my own usefulness, and once
you know how to do this, you can never refuse.
To every house you enter, you must offer
healing: a chocolate cake you baked yourself,
the blessing of your voice, your chaste touch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lesley, that was very nice. Now why don't you write a poem about what you have learned from your Mother?? I'll be waiting!

Sandy Jorgensen said...

yes, your mother taught ME a thing or two and that's why I'm still her loving friend after many many years! So write one! (just don't mention her dusty plants, she hates that)