3.04.2010

Poem a Day: Days 3 & 4

The first three days were easy.

Today, not so much.

That's how it always goes. Even though I've never tried to write a poem daily before, I wrote four or five days a week in grad school. So I'm very familiar with sitting down and staring out the window for ten minutes without having a single idea I can stand putting on the page. I know this feeling all too well: the ennui, the dull laziness, and the sense that I have nothing to say and have never had anything to say before.

But I persevered. And that's the whole point, right?  : P

Yesterday's poem is about a pest-infested shed. Today's poem is about the Lazy River water "ride" at Worlds-of-Fun. Enjoy!

---------------
Day 3

"you find it everywhere, 
behind hollow walls, wriggling
between rotted boards, dangling
from exposed beams--life! 
dark-eyed, glinting things: 
a sea of insects glittering
in soft-sheen shells . . ."

---------------
Day 4

"parched maple leaves clinging to the damp tube,
a rosy pall of sunburn blushing down your stomach
as you bump and swirl your way into the future
on sheer, blue, burbling, bleachy waters . . ."


Copyright Lesley Owens, 2010

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love the visuals that your words bring to my mind when I read them! No matter how pest-infested that shed may be......I'm going in! There has to be some great, wonderful "treasures" hidden within! xoxoxox