12.20.2009

How to Make Your Own Wrapping Paper


Seven wrapped packages.

Ta daaaa!

I've been wanting to make my own wrapping paper for years, but this is the first year that I've found the time to do so. I was very pleased with the results: I was able to wrap six small-ish packages for less than two dollars, and I created no new waste in the process!

Here's how to do it: First, cut a brown paper bag along two of the longest seams (see below). This will give you one large rectangular piece of paper and one small rectangular piece.

If you have a cat, let her inspect your work frequently to keep you on the right track.

Next, cut off the bottom of the bag, which is too thick to wrap with. Smooth out the remaining sheets as well as you can and trim off the rough edges until you have the desired paper size. You should be able to wrap two small packages with each bag.

Then, draw your chosen pattern on the blank side of the paper using a silver Sharpie. Any other metallic marker will work, as well, but Sharpies are the cheapest and easiest to find (I got a double pack at Wal-Mart for $1.50).
 
My beloved silver Sharpie.

I used three different patterns. Each pattern took only a few minutes to draw on and, luckily, required not a jot of artistic talent:


Swirlies.


Stars.


Spirals.

The resulting wrapping paper has its benefits and its drawbacks. Obviously, it's very strong, so you don't have to worry about it tearing during wrapping or under the tree (unlike Hallmark wrapping paper, for example, which is terribly cute and about as flimsy as tracing paper).

Also, this is a good way to get a second use out of your old paper bags. The resulting wrapping paper is completely recyclable, as well, unlike commercial wrapping papers, which many cities won't accept for recycling. By making your own paper out of reused materials and then recycling it, you can avoid contributing to the four million tons of wrapping paper waste that ends up in landfills each year.

And, most importantly, it looks quite pretty, understated, and chic once the wrapping is done.

A few small packages with swirl and star designs.


A bag with the star design and a box with the spiral design.

The drawbacks are that that paper is quite thick and doesn't always want to stay folded around its intended package. I solved this by creasing the paper as much as I could before wrapping the package, and then by crimping the edges of each wrapped package so that the paper kept its shape. Most importantly, though, I used the strongest tape I could find, and plenty of it!

In keeping with the earth-friendly theme, I reused an plain old gift bag (see above) and tissue that I had received with a gift earlier this year. Drawing on the bag made it look quite new again, and tissue paper is always so crumpled that it's impossible to tell that it's been reused!


If you've done your job properly, your kitty will show her approval by blinking sleepily.

I'm baking most of my other presents this year, and I'm trying to figure out equally environmentally friendly ways of wrapping delicious baked goods. This, I fear, will prove a much harder challenge: not only does my paper need to be food safe (which prohibits most recycled paper), but I'll probably need to use cellophane to keep the food fresh. But I'll do my best, and if I get any bright ideas, I'll be sure to post updates here!

1 comment:

Mrs. E said...

Love the look of the silver sharpie! I'm big on re-using gift bags. I have quite a collection to rely on. I like the idea of using a sharpie to make them look new again!! Hope you had a wonderful time!