12.29.2009

"We Have Entered Eternity": Louise Gluck'sThe Wild Iris, Part Two

I finally finished Louise Gluck's The Wild Iris, and I'm completely in love with it. I've already written a bit about it here, but after finishing the volume, I'm even more astonished by Gluck's skill. This is a book that could stand up to Keats or Dickinson or Frost, the kind of book that I think will be read and loved for a very long time.

Here are my reasons for being a total fangirl about it:
  1. As a book, it's masterfully conceived. Gluck obviously planned it out very carefully and thought a great deal about her premise and how the poems would speak to each other. The book begins with the first flowers of early spring and ends with the death of the last of summer's blossoms. Each poem is told from the point of view of either a human speaker, God, or a flower. The human speaker calls out to God to be reassured of His existence, God chastises the human about her deafness, and the plants speak to the human to complain about her foolishness.  The book is tight and precise, and I wonder at Gluck's ability to get a whole collection out of such a limited space (a summer garden) and such a limited subject matter.
  2. Speaking through flowers? Is she kidding? The book's premise sounds implausible and frivolous and silly, but Gluck makes it feel totally natural. I took the flowers perfectly seriously and found the poems to be surprising, moving, and profound.
  3. Gluck makes death new again. The fear of death is an ancient theme, and the inability to connect with God is just as old. But by speaking through one garden, a few clumps of flowers, and certain slants of light, Gluck makes the human speaker's angst entirely new again. Her ability to reinvigorate this fear is astonishing.
  4. The poems are wonderfully simple. Each poem is brief, perfectly executed, and centered around one concept, one nugget of truth. The rest of the poem simply sets up the speaker's voice and prepares us for the poem's real crux. Gluck gives her poems space to breathe, space to luxuriate in their own meaning. I think it takes a lot of skill, self-restraint, and confidence to write this way.
  5. This book makes me want to write. Not all poetry does this to me: some poems cow me with their brilliance, some poems bore me with their dullness, but it's a rare and wonderful poem that inspires me to pick up my own pen and write. Gluck is the kind of poet that other poets love to read, and I'm no longer surprised that this book has been recommended to me by so many writers.
I could go on and on. I liked the book so much that as soon as I finished it, I turned right back to the first page and started reading it again! But I'll stop with the praising and share a few of Gluck's poems here.

These two poems are the last in the book. After all of the human speaker's yearnings for God, after all of His failed attempts to be heard, after all of the fear of death lurking at the edges of these poems, everything comes to a head here: the flowers die, and it seems that God cannot, or chooses not to, hear them.

These poems are beautiful in themselves, but the impact they have at the end of the volume is astonishing: the phrases "your child's terror" and "we have entered eternity" leap from the final pages, chilling the reader with the harsh reality of mortal life and death.


---------------
The Gold Lily
Taken from Plagiarist.com


As I perceive
I am dying now and know
I will not speak again, will not
survive the earth, be summoned
out of it again, not
a flower yet, a spine only, raw dirt
catching my ribs, I call you,
father and master: all around,
my companions are failing, thinking
you do not see. How
can they know you see
unless you save us?
In the summer twilight, are you
close enough to hear
your child's terror? Or
are you not my father,
you who raised me?
 

 
---------------
The White Lilies
By Louise Gluck
From The Wild Iris
Taken from Plagiarist.com
 
As a man and woman make
a garden between them like
a bed of stars, here
they linger in the summer evening
and the evening turns
cold with their terror: it
could all end, it is capable
of devastation. All, all
can be lost, through scented air
the narrow columns
uselessly rising, and beyond,
a churning sea of poppies--

Hush, beloved.  It doesn't matter to me
how many summers I live to return:
this one summer we have entered eternity.
I felt your two hands
bury me to release its splendor. 
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am very intrigued! Poetry written in the voice of flowers! Will you let me read your copy or do I need my own????
heart U! xoxoxox