12.30.2009

"Very Peculiar-Looking Creatures"

While preparing to teach next week, I came across this "Painted Poem" by Kenneth Patchen.

I've never read any of Patchen's work, but I'm very fond of this little painting, which he did in the mid-1960s. The little bird-ish fellow on the left reminds me of one of my favorite works of art: Max Ernst's L'Ange du Foyer (1937).
I don't know much about art, by I like the playfulness and color of both of these pieces. Patchen's painting is obviously fanciful, and a little bit creepy, as well. Ernst's painting has the same feel. His "angel of the home" looks joyful, but its head also looks like a bare skull; it sports a pink, happy, sexual-looking flower between its legs, but it's also brandishing some very sharp teeth and claws; it romps freely over the plain, but it also looks big enough to start earthquakes and squash whole towns with one hoof. And what's with the creepy green guy dangling off its arm?

What should I make of this colorful creature bounding across the plain and the painting's strange title?

I don't know, but I sure like to think on it.

No comments: